Saturday, January 2, 2016

Introductions need to be made.


     Welcome to: From the Datapad of the Old Republic this is going to be a bi-weekly blog on the state of the game Star Wars: The Old Republic MMORPG, and a look back upon events from the time. This is going to be an avenue where I am able to air out my grievances with the game and provide constructive criticism for those grievances. In this format I will try to be thoughtful and intelligent in my musings and hope to not act like the typical Internet troll or outraged fan boy on decisions made by the developers of the game.


     With that being said let me take the time to introduce myself you. My name is Jeff Phillips, I am a loyal player of Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR). I have been playing the game for the past 3 years out of the 4 that this game was in existence. The reason why I am not a full on 4 year player is that at the time of launch my computer was good enough to run World of Warcraft but not powerful enough to run SWTOR, so I continued with World of Warcraft until I got my new computer and stumbled back upon SWTOR in September of 2013. Once I was able to get into the game I switched the amount of money I was spending on World of Warcraft and began to subscribe to SWTOR immediately.


     The story of the game swept me away. The time spent voice acting each and every quest line all of the dialog that was performed brought me back to being a complete fan for the Star Wars Universe. This game also brought me to the fact that one of the best Star Wars Games ever produced, Knights of the Old Republic both the original and the sequel The Sith Lords, was going to be the continuation of that story and that we would never see the third game in the series released on its own. I was content with that fact as the stories that were well crafted and well executed. SWTOR got me to care about the characters in the story even the ones that were side kicks to the story. One of the best scenes in the game is based on your feelings for a side kick character. Save one to sacrifice the many or save the many and sacrifice the one. The decision is yours. I still keep the result of the decision with me to this day. Looking back on the stories 3 years later, I have some nit picks here and there and I have made a ranking of each of the stories which is the best and which is the worst but by in large SWTOR delivers on the story aspect of the game and is the real reason why I come back for more.


     As of this writing I have completed each of the main story lines for the 8 classes in the game. This feat has given me what is now called Legendary Player status and been given the gold emblem by my name in game. It was a long journey, as I said before some of the class stories were not my favorites and I actively avoided certain classes because the way the played and the story did not really mesh with the way I wanted to play. However Bioware kept on giving incentive after incentive to push on with these story lines by making them easier to level and to breeze through the main story and get that golden symbol. The biggest one was during the lead up to the latest expansion where characters were getting 12 times the experience points for class quests, I sat through a lot of the Imperial characters and the last Republic character needed to finish that side. Now through the holiday season they gave out double the experience points, so I took the time to finish the last character class in the Sith Inquisitor.  Which I have to say surprised me. The story was actually interesting and got me going more and more into the questing the longer I was involved with the story.


     As I continue to write more and more ideas pop up in my head. However I would like some feed back from everyone as to how I should proceed with this idea. I would like to take the time to write about each of the classes one by one. Temporally wrecking the bi-weekly format for this blog so I can give my thoughts on each of the classes the good, the bad, and what needed to change.  If there is enough interest in my thoughts on the classes then over the next week or so I will write about each of the classes in my order which will start with the Republic side and end with the Imperial side.

     Thank you all for checking this out and providing me with the feedback and the courage to put something out here for my favorite game.

     You can get a hold of me through my twitter feed @MirumotoTairu and through the comments page at the end of this blog. Thanks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment